1-Minute Assessment: Requirements Management
Take today’s 1-minute assessment:
- Do you have templates to formalize the capture of requirements?
- Do you have well-known governance around who you authorize to articulate requirements, and who can accept them?
- Do your teams attribute requirements to catalog business priorities, plus rank the complexity, time, and cost to deliver?
- Does IT, together with the Business, agree to baseline the requirements at some point during the delivery lifecycle?
- When requirements change, do you understand the effects of those on design and on the project’s schedule?
Did you answer NO to any of these questions? If so, you might be seeing inconsistencies in the way IT products and services are reflecting Business needs. Consider that requirements are upstream from planning and scheduling, analysis and design, coding and testing, learning and roll-out.
Requirements management is a continuous and dynamic process. Competency here pays off in predictable cadence for all involved, and is a solid foundation for goodness in design and architecture. Lack of it results in thrash and dissatisfied customers.
© Michael C. Simonelli, onthegocio.com, 2013