The Henny Youngman School of Consulting
Henny Youngman, was an American comedian and violinist, the “King of the One-Liners.” Mr. Youngman passed away in 1998; he would have been 107 years old this March 16th, 2013.
The Urban Dictionary has an entry for what’s known as a Henny Youngman Problem: A problem that is best solved by avoiding the problematic situation. Or, as Henny’s one-liner tells it: Patient says, “Doctor, it hurts when I do this!” Doctor replies, “Don’t do that.”
The next time you are considering handing over part of your budget to consultants for advice, ask instead: Do I have a Henny Youngman Problem? You can potentially save yourself some upfront time and money.
- Hurts when you manage change? Well, don’t do it that way any more.
- Operations planning painful? OK – then stop and adopt a new way.
- Portfolio reviews ineffective and tedious to prepare for? Cease and check.
- You agreed to all that scope and now you can’t deliver? Well, whose fault is that?
Additional one-liners that might prove useful:
- My doctor grabbed me by the wallet and said “Cough!” Are you providing IT value?
- The more I think of you, the less I think of you. Does your IT brand withstand the scrutiny? Equally applicable to transparency around IT spend.
- Nurse: “Doctor, the man you just gave a clean bill of health to dropped dead right as he was leaving the office”. Doctor: “Turn him around, make it look like he was walking in.” Your own caption here.
© Michael C. Simonelli, onthegocio.com, 2013